Your home based business is like a tree. Once you understand this metaphor, you will know what you need to do to ensure that, not only does your business grow and thrive, but more importantly that it can stand the test of time.
The Roots Are The Most Important
The roots of the tree are what keep it alive, and provide support and stability against weather. It is the roots that branch out in multiple directions to absorb life giving water and also provide a stable base against resistance. A tree that has strong and diverse roots is far more likely to survive over time than one that has weak roots. Also, roots that stretch far, and branch off in multiple directions, will most likely absorb diverse water sources, thus keeping the tree alive, for a longer time than a tree that has short roots that don’t branch out.
The roots of your business are the most important long term factor. Your roots are your WHY, or the “reasons WHY” you want your business to be successful. A person who has a “layered” WHY, that stretches off in multiple direction and branches deeply will have a much stronger business than someone who either 1) has no WHY; or 2) has a WHY that is weak, and doesn’t branch out in multiple directions.
WHY’s should be diverse, and layered. In our Scentsy home based business we have been able to stand the test of time and grow it into a real, flourishing enterprise. The primary reason is that our WHY is deep and it is diverse. Most importantly it is not just about money. Here is a glimpse into the “roots” that comprise our WHY:
- The ability to live a life of pure freedom, unconstrained by the demands of employment that isn’t meaningful;
- The ability to contribute in a real positive way to helping others succeed;
- The ability to have control of our time, therefore being able to develop meaningful hobbies and spend real quality time on a daily basis with each other and with our children;
- Through our business we have formed hundreds of extremely close friendships, friendships that we would dearly miss if we weren’t involved in the business;
- We have the chance to travel all over the world, multiple times a year, because of the business;
- We feel that in our tiny little way we are changing the world. We are changing the world by helping people gain the self confidence they were lacking, believe in themselves, and achieve goals where previously they didn’t feel a sense of empowerment;
- By helping others succeed we are constantly developing ourselves, developing our leadership abilities, overcoming fear, and being a positive example to others; and
- Money, only in the sense that we can live a standard of life that is comfortable and meaningful.
This list isn’t exhaustive, but you get a sense that for us, this business is NOT just about money. That is why our roots are deep, and our business is successful.
Your Tree Will Die, If You Don’t Water It Each Day
You have to water your tree for it to live. Water is absorbed through the roots. The water is the work. If your WHY is strong enough, and diverse enough, then you will find it easy to do the work. You will make the work a priority. You will overcome your fear. You will get outside of your comfort zone on a regular basis. You know that your tree (business) will literally die if you don’t feed it. If you don’t feed it (if you don’t work) then a home based business (like any business) will absolutely fail.
Do not fall victim to the “get rich quick” mindset that is rampant on the internet. It isn’t true. There isn’t a shortcut to success, whether you are in a home based business or a traditional business. You have to work, just like to have to water your tree. Just like a tree needs deep roots to absorb elusive water, so it is with your business. Unless you have a very deep and strong WHY then you won’t do the hard work. It is the hard work that is in almost all instances is the most important, and the most effective for your business.
All Trees Need Sun. The Sun Represents Your “Victories”, Your “Yays”
Water (work) is critical for your tree (business) to survive. But so it Sun. Sun represents personal victories, or what in Scentsy we refer to as “Yays”. If you aren’t experiencing “Yays” then you will grow discouraged. We see it over and over again. Here is a little secret however to the concept of yays:
Any victory, no matter how small, is a Yay
Once you start to recognize the “small” Yays in your business you will feel good. You will gather momentum. Your small Yays will turn into large Yays over time. When the sun (victories) is combined with consistent water (work), the tree grows, your business thrives.
Sure leaving your job because your home based business is making six figures is a Yay. But if that is your only Yay you probably won’t stick around long enough to even experience it. You have to FEEL the small Yays. They are the sun that helps your business to grow. Here are some examples of small Yays:
- Picking up the phone when you are scared and don’t feel like it;
- Talking to someone about the business who ISN’T in your family or immediate friend circle;
- Learning a new skill in your business;
- Meeting a new friend at a corporate event who can be a support to you going forward;
- Attempting a new way to market your business, regardless of whether the method is actually successful
I could go on and on. The trick is that you need to understand this concept. You have give yourself the Yays. If you wait for the big Yay, I can promise you that you won’t last.
Strong roots (a powerful and diverse WHY), consistent water (work, every day) and abundant sun (feeling small victories on a consistent basis) is the formula for a healthy tree, and a healthy home based business, that lasts.