Our “internal rules” are what govern whether we will feel happy or satisfied when seeking to accomplish something.
Let me explain what I mean – if you have an internal rule that says [XXXXX] must happen for me to be satisfied with my results, and then [XXXXXX] doesn’t happen, then you get discouraged or frustrated.
Here is the secret through – YOUR RULES ARE CREATED BY YOU AND YOU ALONE
Therefore you need to make sure that in any goal setting activity you come up with rules that empower you. Your emotional state will be a constant factor in your achievement.
Here is an example of a disempowering rule:
I have to accomplish my goal, no matter what, or I will not be happy
– this rule is disempowering because there may be factors outside of your control that will impact you. Also (as is the case with me quite often) you may set goals so high that they stretch you immensely but you don’t always accomplish them. However in my opinion setting a really high goal and getting close to it is better than setting a small goal and accomplishing it.
Far too often people get discouraged when they set big goals and then come up short, when in reality they made great progress (greater than they would have made if they set a weak goal in the first place). They don’t focus on the progress, they focus on coming up short. Then, in the future, they are hesitant to make big goals because they don’t like the feeling of coming up short and being disappointed. So they begin to limit their dreams.
All of this however is just a matter of shifting focus. If you focus on the progress, regardless of the outcome, you feel good. If you focus on the lack of desired result, you feed bad.
What you focus on is what you feel.
CAN YOU SEE THAT YOUR EMOTIONAL STATE IS WITHIN YOUR CONTROL AND THEREFORE YOU SHOULDN’T BE SCARED OF SETTING BIG GOALS?
Here are empowering internal rules that you should incorporate into your business (that I use personally):
– I feel satisfaction if, and only if, I gave my absolute personal best in pursuit of a goal. No holding back
– It is ok for me to “fail”. I am like a kid, I’m experimenting with the world. Failure is just education and learning.
– What is most important is that I am stretching and growing because the more I stretch and grow the better I can accomplish things in the future
– I feel satisfaction if I go outside of my comfort zone and overcome fear
CREATE INTERNAL RULES THAT SERVE YOU POSITIVELY. BUILD THIS INTO A HABIT AND YOU WILL SEE GREAT RESULTS OVER TIME.