Our internal rules are what govern whether we will feel happy or satisfied when seeking to accomplish something.
Let me explain what I mean – if you have an internal rule that says X must happen for me to be satisfied with my results, and then X doesn’t happen, then you get discouraged or frustrated.
Here is the secret though – YOUR RULES ARE CREATED BY YOU AND YOU ALONE. You may believe that they are created by society, or your employer, but this is just a story. What you feel, in relation to a event, is related to the rules that you hold about how that event was “supposed” to play out.
Therefore you need to make sure that in any goal setting activity you come up with rules that empower you.
Here is an example of a disempowering rule:
I have to accomplish my goal or I will not be happy
- this rule is disempowering because there may be factors outside of your control that will impact you. Also (as is the case with me often) you may set goals so high that they stretch you immensely but you don’t always accomplish them. However in my opinion setting a really high goal and getting close to it is better than setting a small goal and accomplishing it.
For example, under which circumstance should I be the proudest (example relating to our Scentsy business):
- if I set a goal to get $5000 in sales in a month but I only get $2000
- or if I set a goal to get $1500 monthly sales and get $1900
In my opinion the first one is the best because you got the best results.
However when working with our downline I see far too often people getting discouraged because they “didn’t reach their goal” when in reality they made great progress (greater than they would have made if they set a weak goal in the first place)
CAN YOU SEE THAT YOUR EMOTIONAL STATE IS OFTEN A MATTER OF YOUR OWN PSYCHOLOGY?
Here are empowering internal rules that you should incorporate into your business:
– I feel satisfaction if I gave my absolute best in pursuit of my goal.
– It is ok for me to “fail” from time to time. I am like a kid, I’m experimenting with the world! Every time I “fail” I am learning, and the next time I won’t make the same mistake.
– What is most important is that I am stretching and growing. This is more important than whether I actually get my goal. Because the more I stretch and grow the better I can accomplish things in the future
– I feel satisfaction if I go outside of my comfort zone and overcome fear.
CREATE INTERNAL RULES THAT EMPOWER YOU. BUILD THIS INTO A HABIT AND YOU WILL SEE GREAT RESULTS OVER TIME.